Tuesday 16 June 2009

Last Saturday was Murdoch Day in a town called Redruth which is about 25 miles from home. Murdoch was a famous inventer who spent much of his life in Cornwall. During his lifetime, William Murdoch gave to the world numerous inventions and innovations, many ahead of their time and are still in use today. He was the inventor of gas lighting in the early 1790s and coined the term gasometer. Murdoch day is an annual event which attracts many visitors. Redruth was the heart of the tin and copper mining industry in the 1700's and many old engine houses for the mines can still be see around the area.
Anne's son Matthew was playing with his band, Pentorr, at an arts centre in the town so we went down to see them. The music they play is traditional Cornish folk music and we watched as people danced traditional cornish dances to the music. Matthew is the one with dreadlocks on the left. he plays guitar, bass and double bass and sings sometimes.


In the town centre we found these dogs - made from wellies!

A couple of weeks ago I travelled to Bournemouth to spend the weekend with my son Shaun. He had a few jobs for me to do so I set off with my tool kit at the ready. This giant balloon was tethered in the town centre. It was advertising a local radio station.



After a day with my head stuck in a cupboard ( I was plumbing in his dishwasher!) we hit the beach for a bbq with some of Shaun's friends.



The next day Shaun suggested a game of tennis so off we went to the local tennis court. I wanted to play doubles as I thought this would be a bit less strenuous but with only 3 rackets between us that was a no-go, so singles it was. Well my brain was telling me I was 25 again but my poor old body certainly didn't agree and I quickly realised just how fit I wasn't!! In a vain attempt to reach a cleverly placed drop shot my feet just didn't want to move and I fell ass over tit onto the tarmac court. The result of this non-too impressive acrobatic incident was a very sore, bruised wrist and hip. Silly old fool (Anne's words!!)










The brits on holiday - I loved this and couldn't resist taking a picture.






An impressive row of beach huts


Bournemouth seafront and a very different landscape to the one I am coming to know down in Cornwall




The groynes have been put in to stop the sand shifting.
...................................................

On the Saturday morning I was back in diy mode and spent a couple of hours with my head in the toilet (not under the influence, you understand - just a bit of plumbing!) With a new toilet fitted and working I headed home to Cornwall.

Back home in Cornwall and back to work. This is the view from the hotel.


One of the very classy bedrooms. Available for New Years Eve at £495 - let me know if you are interested!

The Jumble Tumble where I spend many happy hours sorting the green balls from the blue ones!


Then they let the kids in again!!!
This is the minibus that I drive around the coastal roads - dropping off my harem of chambermaids!
The two smaller pools.

The sun begins to set over the 'big' pool.


Coming to the end of my 2- 10 shift I watched as the sun set over the sea.


It really is a stunning bit of coastline and there can't be many jobs where you get a view like this.




Looking through the round window.


This weekend is my birthday and we are off to the Scilly Isles so more news and pics to follow soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment